I just ate these last night and they were so delicious that I have to share them promptly. We had a girls night with some friends, allowing two guys to tag along provided they neither judged the lack of meat on the menu nor the blatant girliness of the film we had chosen to watch. One of my friends organized the menu, and the central element were these delicious mushrooms stuffed with a goat cheese blend. They are served on a bed of mixed greens, and the sharp balsamic dressing compliments the creamy richness of the stuffing.
Les Champignons Farcis
6 large mushrooms (In the pictures we doubled everything to have more. Also, it bears noting that one of our party didn’t like mushrooms so we just shoved the filling in some halved and seeded red peppers and then prepared them the same way and they were delicious!)
4 oz cream cheese
4 oz goat cheese (the soft spreadable kind)
2 garlic cloves, crushed (plus one more crushed clove for the dressing)
diced chives (fresh or dried)
salt and pepper
4 Tbs balsamic vinegar
4Tbs olive oil
- Combine cheeses, crushed garlic, and salt and pepper (to taste).
- Using a spoon, remove centers of mushrooms so that they form a bowl.
- Place mushrooms in a baking dish with bowl side up and fill with mounds of cheese mixture. Garnish with chives.
- Bake at 350 for 10 minutes, then raise oven to 400 and cook until the cheese starts to turn golden, about 5 minutes.
- Combine vinegar, oil, remaining crushed garlic clove and salt and pepper to make dressing.
- Place greens in a wide serving dish, arrange mushrooms on top, and drizzle in dressing.