I absolutely hate doing my hair and makeup during the summer.
It isn’t just that both are ruined the second I walk outside, as the heat has me sweating and wiping at my face and the humidity has my hair simultaneously going limp and frizzing out – a truly diabolical miracle of science.
It is that the act of doing hair and makeup is rendered utterly miserable during the summer. Perhaps for you, this isn’t the case. Perhaps you stand in your nicely air conditioned bathroom, applying foundation to a smooth, cool brow and curling your locks in calm composure. But in DC, we do not have central air. The two window units that do a fine(ish) job of cooling the bedroom and living room whimper out at the kitchen and categorically reject the bathroom, leaving it a blazing inferno. In France, I am reminded of one thing I do not like at all about Europe, and that is its seemingly systematic refusal of air conditioning. When I go to get ready in the morning, I am already covered in a slight sheen of sweat, already hot and dreading putting any layers – be they makeup or clothing – on my body. The latter cannot be avoided. The former must be modified.
Here is my summer face routine, where the name of the game is wearing fewer layers, protecting from the sun, and spending as little time as possible in the Inferno Chamber/ bathroom.
- Moisturizer that has sunscreen in it. I just started using this one, because MK is my go-to to try new products, but I’m curious. Any other moisturizer+sunscreen dream-team combos you all love?
- BB Cream with SPF 30. BB cream is for real magic. You all were so great with all your suggestions, and I have been switching every time I run out to try a bunch. I’m currently loving this one.
- Anastasia Eyebrow Powder. Pricey, but mine has lasted over a year, and when the summer sweat has me too irritated to put on eye-shadow, as least my brows will hold strong.
- Translucent Loose Powder. This stuff is the best at making one look put together during the months where walking outside feels like you are in a dishwasher. If I am just going out quickly, I skip all the above and just toss some of this on for composure.
- Mascara. I’ve tried them fancy brands, but I always come back to loving the cheap Covergirl one.
- Bold lipstick. Really I love bright lips all the time, but especially during the summer where I get really lazy with everything else. When you have bold lipstick, you are put together with two quick swipes. My favorites are this one and this one.
As for the hair, very rarely do I have the patience to curl mine during the summer, as it probably will get pulled up the second I step outside. For summer hair, here are my go-tos.
- This messy bun. Easy, always works, I can do it with 5 heavy duty bobby pins.
- Headband wrap. It’s basically a finessed version of this. I fell in love with a turban headband from Anthropologie, but alas, twas too pricey. Thus I was pretty excited when I grabbed the one shown in the first photo from H&M for just a couple dollars.
- Hats with braids/low buns/side-poney. I grabbed that white hat at a cheap store here in France before we went to the beach in our first week. I have since worn it almost every day, as it keeps my face and head protected from the sun, keeps me cool, and cuts my primping time back to mere minutes. Success.
- Lots and lots of dry shampoo. It just makes every up-do hold so much better and look so much fuller.
What are your tricks for summer hair and face?